I’m not a fan of waste, especially food waste! 1-2 ciabatta loaves are thrown away regularly due to becoming stale before it’s even eaten. So here is a simple, cost-effective recipe to make cheesy garlic bread with bread that is no longer fresh to use.
Ingredients (Serves 8-10 people):
1 ciabatta loaf
85g of cheddar cheese
3-4 crushed garlic cloves
Handful of chopped parsley
Splash of olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
2. Cream the butter and mix in the other garlic butter ingredients.
3. Cut diagonal slices in the bread (in one direction only).
4. Use all the butter and generously spread it in each crack, on both walls. Use your fingers or a knife to open each crack to also add the cheddar cheese.
5. Cut the bread to make diamonds and whilst dragging the knife through the bread, it will spread the butter into the new crevices you are cutting. Wrap with foil and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese has mostly melted. Then unwrap and bake for 5 more minutes for crispy and lightly golden bread.
6. Serve immediately with a simple coriander and tomato salad.
TOP TIP: A piece of stale bread can be placed in the crisper drawer to help absorb moisture and keep vegetables fresh. (Replace every day or two).